After blowing 2-goal lead, Syracuse ties Louisville 2-2 in additional time – The Day by day Orange

The Daily Orange is a nonprofit newsroom that receives no funding from Syracuse University. Consider donating today to support our mission.

Hilli Goldhar set the ball down in the right corner as Syracuse head coach Ian McIntyre waved more players into the box. The clock ticked down into the final minutes of the second overtime, one of four corners in the final three minutes Syracuse had to break the 2-2 deadlock against Louisville.

Yet all four possessions faltered. Goldhar’s corner sailed toward the Cardinal box, but Abdi Salim couldn’t connect on a header near the right post and goalie Matthew Howard corralled the ball. Salim shook his head as he jogged back toward his centerback spot.

Louisville erased a 75-minute long deficit with two goals in four minutes and forced overtime against Syracuse (0-2-1, 0-2-1 Atlantic Coast). Despite the Orange totalling 11 corner kicks and out-shooting the Cardinals 7-2, they drew 2-2 and remain winless on the season. 

After an early goal, SU finally had a chance to control the game’s tempo, dictating possession and holding the Cardinals without a shot through most of the game, but lost control in the final minutes of regulation — which led to overtime and, eventually, Syracuse’s first tie of the season.

For Syracuse, finishing touches and opportunities in the final third were missing during its first two games. Against Pitt, they couldn’t “keep a quality team down for a full 90 minutes,” Syracuse head coach Ian McIntyre said. Against Notre Dame, it was a “naive” early goal on a set piece that sunk the Orange. 

Early against the Cardinals, on a corner in the third minute from Goldhar, Syracuse almost found that connection early. A short pass from Goldhar was crossed to Singelman, but his shot toward Cardinals keeper Osmar Chavero was touched offside in the box.

Syracuse continued to control possession throughout the rest of the first half, not allowing Louisville to establish chances in its end beyond set pieces. A Sondre Noreheim clear to Hilli Goldhar got through the Louisville defense around the 35-minute mark, and Goldhar drew a foul. Singelmann’s ensuing free kick sailed toward the right post, but Salim couldn’t connect.

Near the end of the first half, though, Syracuse finally struck past Chavero. Simon Triantafillou connected on his long ball, and DeAndre Kerr sprinted toward the Louisville box. Syracuse’s freshman forward had a step on his Louisville defender, and he stepped back once, switching from his left to his right foot.

To that point, Syracuse had controlled possession throughout the entirety of the frame but couldn’t connect on a finishing touch. Two goals had been called back offsides. Numerous other opportunities were extinguished by the Cardinals only after they ended in the final third. But Kerr fired a ball past a diving Chavero and into the net, giving Syracuse its first lead of the season.

After Kerr’s goal, Syracuse again struggled to connect on final touches and generate a second. But early in the second half, Luther Archimede raced toward goal as Chavero slid and tackled Syracue’s forward. Archimede — who missed the Orange’s loss against the Fighting Irish because of a red card — thrust both his hands up in the air from the ground. Chavero was shown a red card, Archimede was granted a penalty kick, and backup goalkeeper William Howard jogged in from the Cardinals’ bench.

Sprawling right, Howard saved Archimede’s shot and forcing a corner — even as McIntyre spent the next five minutes pleading for a re-kick due to too many players on the field at once. Goldhar paced in a circle with the ball, before eventually taking the corner kick — another Syracuse chance that lacked a finishing touch.

As the second half ticked into the final minutes, Syracuse continued to dominate possession and held Louisville without a shot. SU’s Sondre Norheim sent another chance toward the box that connected with Goldhar. He pulled back, sending a Louisville defender falling, before cutting around the corner. Howard jumped out to play the ball, but that left Kerr open by the right post. 

He corralled Goldhar’s pass, finished his second goal of the night, and embraced a group of Syracuse players in the right corner. That elusive second goal, and elusive boost of insurance to force two Louisville equalizers, diminished once the Cardinals found their first goal just one minute later. It evaporated when the Cardinals converted again 180 seconds following that — an Aboucabar Camara connection off a corner that sent the game into extra time after Syracuse’s final corner in regulation sputtered.

In Syracuse’s season-opening loss to Pittsburgh, it failed to capitalize on chances in extra time while down a man after Archimede’s red card. Against Lousville, though, a Triantafillou’s cross narrowly missed Archmide just three minutes into the first overtime. Archimede couldn’t connect on another bicycle kick attempt from in the box, and Louisville sailed its shot on the counter wide.

But then the Orange faltered on their final chances in the extra time periods. Syracuse blew a two-goal lead while up a man to reach that point. And those missed opportunities, the same ones that caused losses the first two games, ensured it still left SU Soccer Stadium without its first win.

Contact Andrew: | @CraneAndrew

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *